Monday, March 14, 2011

You Really Got a Hold on Me

Flipped (2010)
Directed by Rob Reiner
Written by Rob Reiner and Andrew Scheinman
Starring Madeline Carroll, Callan McAuliffe, Rebecca De Mornay, Anthony Edwards, John Mahoney, Penelope Ann Miller, and Aidan Quinn


Based on Wendelin Van Draanen's novel, Flippedis the story of Juli Baker and Bryce Loski, two eighth graders in 1963.  Juli has loved Bryce since he first moved across the street in second grade; however, Bryce thinks Juli, who sits up in an old sycamore tree and raises her own chickens, is a little weird and has never returned her feelings.  Until one day he does.  He begins seeing Juli through his grandfather's eyes, who says the girl is "iridescent" much like Bryce's grandmother had been.  Just as Bryce is flipping his feelings for Juli, she's doing the same for him, realizing he's not as special as she always thought he was and that the whole of Bryce is not greater than the sum of his parts.  Flipped is narrated by Bryce and Juli, their stories being flipped back and forth throughout the movie.  Amusing and delightful with a good early sixties soundtrack, Flipped is the best first-love story since My Girl.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this book and recommend it a lot. I normally won't watch a book to movie of something I really love - it's almost always a disappointment. But, I trust your judgement. If I get the chance, I'll watch this. The soundtrack seems fun. -T

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened on this movie over at the library and watched it; I hadn't realized until afterwards that it was based on a book. I'm sure the book is even better, but having seen the movie I won't find the book as fresh. For you it's flipped: I think you'll like the movie, but it won't be as charming, as you've already read the book. I had the same experience with True Grit. Having read the book, I wasn't nearly as delighted with the movie as those around me for whom it was all new.

    ReplyDelete