Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pork Fried Rice

I make a lot of Chinese dishes at home.  I still eat out occasionally, too.  Christmas, for instance.  We always order Chinese take-out for Christmas.  Have done for three Christmases now.  Next Christmas I'm getting Peking Duck.  I can't believe I've never eaten Peking Duck. I might not like it either, but, like cooking a live lobster, it's on my bucket list.  This past year, I added three more Chinese dishes to my repertoire:  pork chow mein (lovely throwback recipe from Woman's Day), pork lo mein (from America's Test Kitchen), and pork fried rice.  I'd found several recipes online for fried rice (chicken, pork, shrimp) and took something from each of them.  The resulting recipe is is really easy and tasty.  You don't need a wok; just a really big skillet will do the trick.

Pork Fried Rice (Four Servings)
I use pearl rice (sushi rice) which is in the Asian section of my local supermarket.  One cup of raw rice makes 3 cups of cooked rice.

8 oz. pork tenderloin
1 Tbsp peeled grated fresh ginger
3/4 tsp. Penzey's Chinese five-spice powder
2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. peanut oil

2 eggs, beaten
1 head of baby bok choy1 onion, diced
1/2 tsp. Penzey's minced garlic
3 cups cooked cold rice
salt and pepper

In medium bowl combine pork, ginger, five-spice powder, vinegar, and soy sauce.  Marinade at least 10 minutes.

In large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. peanut oil over medium heat.  Pour in eggs and add salt and pepper to taste.  Cook until set, about one to three minutes.  Remove; let cool.  Roll up and slice crosswise into thin strips.  Set aside.

In skillet heat 1 Tbsp. peanut oil over medium-high heat.  Add pork and, tossing frequently, cook until browned, 2-3 minutes.  Remove from skillet and set aside.

Heat another 1 Tbsp. peanut oil.  Add bok choy, onion, and garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook stirring often 2-4 minutes, until bok choy is crisp tender.

Add rice and, tossing frequently, cook until heated through, about 2-4 minutes.

Add pork and egg, and, tossing frequently, and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes.  Serve


No comments:

Post a Comment