Friday, March 29, 2013

The Only Salmon Recipe You'll Ever Need



I'm not Catholic, but for Lent I eat fish every Friday.  Why not?  It's on sale everywhere, and we're supposed to eat more fish.  Especially salmon.  The trouble is the only salmon I like is the salmon served at The Rusty Bucket.  Their salmon has kind of an Asian flare.  They used to serve it with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables.  Now they serve it with sticky rice, but I like it with mashed potatoes better.  Either way at $14.99 a serving, it's a costly way to get salmon into my diet.  I figured I could learn how to make it at home and save a bundle.  I googled Asian salmon and came up with several recipes.  Experimenting in the kitchen I tweaked the recipes and found exactly what I wanted:  the most delicious salmon I've ever eaten.  Easy to make, and I serve it with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables.  Last week I had it with carmelized cabbage.  Yum!

Pan-Seared Asian Salmon (Serves four, or two really hungry diners)

1 pound frozen wild-caught salmon (four fillets), thawed
2 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar or fresh lemon juice
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
3 Tbsp. peanut oil
black pepper

In a shallow dish combine vinegar or lemon juice, soy sauce, and 2 Tbsp. peanut oil.  Coat salmon fillets with marinade and let sit for 15 minutes.  Heat up 1 Tbsp. peanut oil in large skillet over medium heat.  Place salmon fillets in pan and sprinkle with black pepper to taste.  Cook 3-5 minutes per side.  Serve with mashed potatoes and sauteed vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment