Saturday, January 1, 2011

New Year's Objectives

I make resolutions every year, but I never keep them.  So this year, instead of making resolutions, I'm listing specific objectives that I'd like to pursue daily.  They say that those who write their goals down are more likely to follow them.  Certainly, publishing them online will make me more accountable.  In fact, at least once a month, I'll revisit this list and see how it's working out for me.
  1. Stop frittering money away.  Save those nickels and dimes.
  2. Cut back on sweets.  If I don't eat processed foods and only eat treats I've made myself, my sugar intake will plummet.
  3. Eat five or more fruits and vegetables a day.
  4. Walk 30 minutes a day.
  5. Write 30 minutes a day on my play.
These  objectives actually work together.  If I'm not eating purchased sweets, I won't be spending a dollar on a candy bar or a bottle of pop.  Not eating sweets will also mean I'm more likely to be snacking on fruit.  Instead of running to the store to buy junk food, I'll take walks, which will stimulate my creativity and aid in the half hour of writing.  And in the big picture, I should get healthier, wealthier, and more productive. We'll see how it works out in the coming months.

1 comment:

  1. Great reasoning on your New Year's goals and how they fit well together. I haven't even set any yet, but your post inspired me to come up with five of them and I, too, will post them on here:

    1. Find a GOOD job!

    2. Try to budget my time everyday in a productive manner (e.g. 4-5 hours a day job hunting, 1/2 hour walk, 2 hours a day using internet recreationally.

    3. Give up smoking (either cold turkey, but probably by cutting back a pack a month starting in February).

    4. Read more. I have a hard time reading when I feel anxious and I feel anxious a lot of the time, so although I read far more than the average person, I could be reading a lot more for education and pleasure (usually the two go hand in hand when it comes to reading).

    5. Lose that weight I'm dying to lose. I gained quite a bit of weight when I was on that steroid for my Bell's Palsey back in late Nov./early Dec. 2010 and now I need to return to my old eating habits; I thank my mother everyday for instilling in me the idea that you are supposed to eat when you're hungry and stop when you're full--thanks mom wherever you are tonight. Also, take my vitamin and calcium pill everyday and try to eat healthier overall.

    I think that covers it, not that there aren't always areas one can improve upon. I'm glad I made some New Year's resolutions FINALLY. Thanks Fruitcake Files for reminding me to do so.

    ReplyDelete