Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Current Top Ten Favorite Christmas Carols

  1. "Silver Bells."  I enjoyed Jeff Bridges' version with Cookie Monster on Saturday Night Live last night, but even better, I think, is the original sung by Bob Hope, Marilyn Maxwell, and William Frawley (aka Fred Mertz) in the Christmas movie, The Lemon Drop Kid.
  2. "Feliz Navidad."  I love this 1970 Christmas jingle sung by José Feliciano on his album, Feliz Navidad. One of my favorite Christmas memories is of the tape my daughter recorded for us when she was seven or eight.  On this Christmas tape, she sings "Feliz Navid," accompanying herself on the recorder.
  3. "What Child Is This?."  My favorite version is sung by Dan Fogelberg on First Christmas Morning.That album includes another of my all-time favorite carols.  Number four (drum roll)...
  4. "I Saw Three Ships."  The tune is an uptempo variation of "Greensleeves."
  5. "2000 Miles."  This the most rock and roll of my favorites--maybe of any Christmas carol--was written by Chrissie Hynde and is one of the tracks on The Pretenders - Greatest Hits.
  6. "One Bright Star (This Christmas Night)."   This beautiful carol is sung by the late Nicolette Larson on Americana Christmas: 20th Century - Coll.Her sweet voice is pure pleasure.
  7. "The First Noel."  I like Emmylou Harris's version of this song from Light of the Stable.
  8. "I'll Be Home for Christmas."  Sung by Elvis, of course, on If Every Day Was Like Christmas.
  9. "Merry Christmas Waltz."   Forget Rudoplph.  This is the best Gene Autry Christmas tune.
  10. Mele Kalikimaka.  Who can forget Chevy Chase fantasizing in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation to this Bing Crosby croon?  Bing sings this Hawaiian-themed carol with The Andrew Sisters on his  White Christmas CD. 
Dear Reader, if you're out there, let me know what your favorite Christmas carols are.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment