Thursday, February 9, 2012

Facebook Time Travel

The Future of Us
by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler
Razorbill (November 21, 2011)
356 pages
ISBN:  1595144919

The Future of Us is a page turner if ever there was one.  Emma and Josh, best friends since preschool, are two high school students in 1996, a time when fewer than half of all teenagers have ever used the Internet.  When Emma gets a new computer from her father, Josh helps her set it up and together they discover a site called Facebook, a full eight years before it is launched.  Facebook proves to be a cyber time machine that clues them into what their lives will be like in the year 2011.  They learn their occupations, their spouses, their children, and where they live.  Whereas Josh is delighted with what he learns of his future, Emma is deeply disappointed.

Emma and Josh begin trying to control their futures:  Josh to keep his as is, Emma to change hers.  Every day Facebook reveals changes in their destinies based on their actions in 1996, some deliberate, some random.  In fact, every time Emma hits "refresh," her future is different on Facebook.  She begins to worry:  "I don't want to create any ripples that could ruin either one of our futures."  The ripples aren't doing their present friendship any good, either.  Can they learn to live in the present and let the future take care of itself?



To order from Amazon, click on The Future of Us.

4 comments:

  1. Since reading this one I still wonder if I would want to peek into my own future! I think probably not, but that's a pretty big temptation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have wanted to peek into my future when I was a teenager, but not now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This premise sounds good, but I keep reading mixed reviews. Did you really like this one? -T

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't put it down. I think their reaction to finding their future selves on Facebook is very realistic.

      Delete